What, I ask, is cozier than a fall sweater? Mmmm…not much!
This post is going to show you a bit more than just sweaters you’ll love-
- check out what sweater styles you think you’d like best,
- see what colors are trending,
- read the styling tips for maximum versatility, but most importantly-
- see how to care for your sweaters (because every cent you spend is precious).
Different Types of Fall Sweaters
Sweaters come in all shapes and sizes, but for today’s blog I’ll be showcasing specifically:
Chunky Knits: the epitome of cozy and oversized sweaters, they’re typically made with thick yarn, are warm, and have a loose, relaxed fit. They’re good for layering over thinner garments or wearing out on chilly days.
Cardigans: -can be layered, are buttoned or open-front sweaters, and come in different lengths and styles from cropped to duster length. They’re warm and can be paired with jeans, T-shirts, leggings, dresses, and skirts.
Turtlenecks: are a timeless classic with high, close-fitting collars that cover the neck. They’re also warm, available in different sleeve and waist lengths, and can be worn alone or layered under jackets or coats- awesome for fall outfits.
Cable Knits: are sweaters that have classic and intricate patterns and textures. The cable knit technique involves twisting and braiding the yarn to create a woven-like pattern. These sweaters are durable, cozy, sophisticated, and warm, and come in different styles.
Sweater Dresses: are a stylish, cute, and comfy option. They usually have a relaxed fit, can be mini-mid- or maxi length, and can be dressed up or down. Pair with boots or heels, layer them with tights or leggings, and accessorize with scarves or belts to create different looks.
Trending Fall Sweater Colors and Patterns
Popular color palettes for fall sweaters often revolve around earth tones and jewel tones.
Earth tones like rich browns, deep oranges, warm yellows, and olive greens are a pretty reminder of the changing foliage of the fall season.
These colors evoke a sense of coziness and blend effortlessly with the natural surroundings.
On the other hand, jewel tones such as deep purples, emerald greens, deep blues, and ruby reds add a touch of luxury and vibrancy to fall sweaters.
And plaid patterns bring a rustic, timeless, and cozy feel- log cabin in Scotland anyone?
Styling Tips for Fall Sweaters
When it comes to layering sweaters, there are a few tips to keep in mind.
- button-down shirts under V-neck & crewneck sweaters or sweater vests make a nice preppy look.
- for a cozy and casual vibe, pair a chunky knit sweater with a denim or leather jacket.
- wear a lightweight cardigan over a blouse or dress for a more feminine look.
- experiment with different lengths and textures to create dimension and interest.
To make the look of fall sweaters even better, accessorizing is key:
- add a statement belt to cinch in the waist of a sweater dress for definition.
- scarves add both warmth and style to your outfit.
- try chunky knit scarves in complementary colors, or patterns like plaid or animal prints.
- hats, gloves, and even brooches or pins to add personality to your fall sweater outfit.
Pairing with Bottoms
Fall sweaters can be paired with various bottoms to create different looks:
- For a classic and casual combination, team a sweater with skinny or straight-leg jeans.
- For dressier looks, pair a sweater with Midi skirts, A-line skirts, or even leather skirts.
- Leggings paired with longer and tunic-style sweaters create a cozy and laid-back feel.
More Options For Dressing Up or Down
- For a dressed-up look, pair a sleek turtleneck sweater with paper-bag pants, culottes, or a pencil skirt.
- Add heels or ankle boots and statement jewelry to complete your sweater outfit.
- To dress down a sweater, try distressed jeans or sweats for a relaxed vibe.
- Denim jackets and sneakers also give a laid-back and effortless style.
The key is to mix and match different pieces to create your desired level of formality or informality for the occasion.
Let’s Shop- Yay!
1.) ANRABESS Women’s Fall Sweaters– now this is what I’m talking about!
2.) LILLUSORY Women’s Long Sleeve Slouchy Cable Knit Cardigan– a navy sweater with jeans- classic!
3.) PRETTYGARDEN Women’s Fall Sweaters– cute.
4.) ANFTFH Chunky Knit Pullover– a turtle neck sweater I could actually wear!
5.) Beyove Sweater Vest– this is gorgeous, I had an identical one and received loads of compliments when I wore it with a long-sleeve white button-down.
6.) ANRABESS Women’s Sweater Dress– this dress is screaming for a wide belt, ankle boots, and a chunky bracelet.
7.) LittleMax Oversize Open Front One Piece Knitted Cardigans– boots, jeans, leggings- anything goes!
8.) Women’s Fleece Open-Front Hooded Cardigan– this thin, soft fleece is great for layering.
10.) ANRABESS Women Crewneck– a PERFECT fall classic!
11.) Aelfric Eden Cable Knit Solid Sweater– this too, it screams hot chocolate and marshmallows- love it!
13.) LILLUSORY Women’s Crewneck– so pretty, I would be careful with washing, and would definitely flat dry it (I would flat dry all the options).
14.) Famulily Sweaters for Women– this is so fall-y, so autumn-y, that I want to jump in a pile of leaves!
15.) CASAVOIR 100% Pure Cashmere Women’s Turtle Neck Sweater– this cashmere means business!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Care and Maintenance of Fall Sweaters
Proper care and maintenance of fall sweaters begin with understanding how to wash and dry them.
Washing and Drying
- Use the delicate cycle on a washing machine with cold water and a gentle detergent.
- Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals that can damage the fabric.
- After washing, gently squeeze out excess water, but don’t wring or twist- it might cause stretching or misshaping.
- Instead, lay the sweater flat on a clean towel and reshape it to its original form.
- Let it air dry completely.
- Clean your sweaters before storing them to prevent stains or odors from setting in.
- Fold the sweaters neatly to avoid stretching or creasing, and place them in airtight containers or garment bags to protect them from dust, moths, and other pests.
- Add some cedar chips or lavender sachets to deter pests and keep your sweaters smelling fresh.
- Store the containers in a cool, dark, and dry place- in a closet, under your bed storage, etc.
I Always Say It- Repair Common Issues!
Sweaters may encounter common issues over time. Save money and landfill waste by taking care of these minor issues as soon as they happen.
- To fix loose threads, gently tug the thread back into place or use a needle to weave it back through the surrounding stitches.
- For snags, avoid pulling them further and use a crochet hook or a similar tool to push the snag back through to the inside of the sweater.
- Pilling can be minimized by using a fabric shaver or a sweater comb to carefully remove the pills.
And… I think that’s it!
Have a great time shopping (I know I will), enjoy your comfy sweaters, and have a wonderful, cozy fall season!