And getting into the habit of enjoying a home hair spa treatment weekly or bi-weekly is a great way to get your locks silky and smooth as the summer months descend upon us.
Knowing what steps to take will offset everything summer has to throw our way- moisture, humidity, chlorine, heat, or- what any season has to throw us for that matter!
From deep hydration treatments and homemade custom masks, here are just a few simple yet effective ideas on setting up your very own stress-free hair spa day in the comfort of your own home – no appointments necessary!
Transform Your Hair with an At-Home Spa Treatment
Prep Your Hair
Before beginning your at-home hair spa, starting off with a pre-treatment conditioner or oil is an ideal way to prepare your locks for the ultimate pampering.
Pre-conditioner coats and seals in moisture while simultaneously delivering vital nutrients to create softer, healthier-looking strands.
This product additionally helps to reduce tangles during and after shampooing and strengthens fragile hair follicles to promote long-term health and vibrancy.
You will want to prepare a pre-treatment that includes:
- an oil component: coconut oil, cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, mayonnaise.
- and hair-boosting proteins and vitamins like collagen and biotin: found in dairy and eggs.
Step 1- Prepping the Hair with a Homemade Pre-Treatment Conditioner
If you choose to do an oil pre-treatment on your hair:
- Simply massage your oil of choice throughout your dry hair, avoiding the scalp, and making sure each thirsty strand is gently oiled.
- Wrap your hair in a towel, or plastic, or keep it in a loose bun, and let the oil penetrate your hair for 1/2 hour- 1 hour, or even overnight.
- Move to the next step.
If you choose to make a protein or vitamin pre-treatment, here are some options:
- Whisk a few raw eggs in a bowl and when fully whisked, saturate each strand of dry hair, the same as you would the oil, and also avoid the scalp. Unlike oil, proteins such as eggs should not remain in for more than 1 hour. A half-hour to 45 minutes should do.
- Place some plain, greek yogurt in a bowl and add your choice of mashed bananas or raw honey (optional). Saturate every strand of dry hair, avoiding the scalp, and let sit for up to 45 minutes. Do not heat the yogurt before applying.
- After you’ve waited for up to 45 minutes, move to the next step.
*I first tried the mayonnaise mask back in grade 6 (the Bangles were at the height of popularity) and I was always turned off by the smell. I found it overly greasy and difficult to wash out- even with several washes, if you use this method, use the mayonnaise sparingly.
If your hair is long, this can be a messy business. Make sure to wear an old t-shirt you don’t mind getting stains on.
Exfoliate Your Scalp
Gently massage your scalp with an invigorating scrub for deep exfoliation. Exfoliation will help clear away dirt and product buildup, promote circulation, and give the appearance of fuller hair.
Spend some extra time massaging for even more relaxation benefits and don’t forget to close your eyes and enjoy this special beauty ritual!
While your hair still has the oil/egg/dairy product in it from step #1, quickly mix up an appropriately sized batch for your hair length- you may need to experiment a bit with measurements:
- Option 1: Mix 1/2 cup of raw sugar/sugar with a tablespoon of olive, avocado, or coconut oil.
- Option 2: Mix 1/2 cup of sea salt, a tablespoon of jojoba (or other preferred) oil, and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Option 3: Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda and some warm water, to create a thick paste.
- Optional: add a few drops of essential oils to your exfoliate.
Essential oils that are beneficial for hair include:
- clary sage,
- and tea tree oils.
Step 2: Exfoliate your Scalp
- Set a timer for 10 minutes.
- Gently massage the exfoliate or paste deeply onto your scalp in slow circular movements, using the tips of your fingers.
- Close your eyes and enjoy until the timer goes off.
- Move to the next step.
Rinse and Condition
The next step in your DIY luxury hair spa process is to rinse ALL the product out of your hair at the same time.
This means you will have to have timed your exfoliate to be applied 10 minutes before your pre-conditioner is ready to be rinsed out, depending on which method was used.
*Conditioning is an important step to ensure your hair will not remain oily after your hair spa is complete.
Often, at the conditioning step, I will put my hair in a bun and get on with some other tasks while I’m waiting- before I know it the kitchen is clean and I’ve had the conditioner in my hair for 30 minutes instead!
Step 3: Rinse and Condition
- Rinse ALL the product out of your hair with cool water, gently massaging the product off your scalp and strands.
- Remove as much water from your hair as possible by gently squeezing the strands and using a towel to further blot dry the hair.
- Next, apply your favorite conditioner all over your hair, wait 10 minutes, and rinse with cool water.
Shampoo Your Hair
Feel free to repeat the shampoo process twice if it feels necessary.
Step 4: Shampoo as Usual
- Use your favorite shampoo to wash out the conditioner and remaining product from your hair. Pay special attention to the scalp and strands while cleaning. Gently roll your hair between both hands when lathering your shampoo.
- When you are finished shampooing, rinse with cool water.
- Wrap your hair in a soft towel to absorb excess moisture.
Condition Your Hair
Using your preferred conditioner, condition as you normally would.
Step 5: Apply Conditioner
- Reapply your favorite conditioner and immediately follow the next step.
Hot Towel Wrap
Start by heating an absorbent cloth in the dryer.
When it’s nice and very warm, gently wrap the fabric around your hair, turban style, and rest it there for a total of ten minutes. You may have to heat the towel several times if it cools down, or have several more ready to go in the dryer.
The heat helps to open up your pores, allowing deeper penetration of treatments like masks and conditioners for an intensely nourishing experience.
Step 6: Hot Towel Wrap
- Wrap your conditioner-ladened hair in a heated towel for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, rinse the conditioner thoroughly with cool water to seal the cuticles and lock in moisture
- Blot dry hair gently with a towel.
To ensure that you get the best results from your at-home hair spa, one of the key steps is to rinse out all products with cool/cold water.
This helps to seal the cuticles in your hair and add an extra layer of moisture for a super hydrated finish – making sure your hair feels as luxurious as if you had been to an actual salon!
It’s easy to incorporate into your routine and can make a huge difference – so don’t skip this step!
Air Dry and Comb
Air drying is best for your hair, so avoid hair dryer temptation and allow your hair to air dry naturally.
Step 7: Air Dry and Comb
Step 1: When your hair is about 80% dried, use a wide-tooth comb to detangle the strands before completely drying. This will ensure that you don’t pull too much at the roots and cause breakage when removing knots.
And that’s it!!! Enjoy your beautiful, silky, shiny, bouncy hair!
Now I’ll be the first to admit that this is a time-consuming endeavor, but it is so worth it! If you can find the time to incorporate this weekly, your hair will ALWAYS look amazing- even bi-weekly will do.
P.S. You will not stop touching your hair- it will feel that great! 🙂
Always take the time to figure out exactly:
- the type of hair you have (thick, fine, flat, curly, etc.)
- the most common issues you face with your hair and scalp (dandruff, dryness, oiliness, itch, thinning, etc.)
- if and how your hair is changing
Based on your observations, research the best, high-quality products suitable for your hair type, your hair issues, and how often you wash and style your hair.
For more tips, see Hair Care Tips for Women Over 40.
Treating your hair to a full spa at home can be an amazing way to relax and give yourself some TLC.
Prepping your hair with:
- a pre-treatment conditioner or oil,
- giving yourself an invigorating scalp scrub massage,
- treating your tresses with a deep shampoo and condition,
- and embracing a hot towel wrap to open up pores and provide more conditioner for hydration and shine,
you’ll be giving your tresses the pampering they deserve without ever having to leave the comfort of home!
Start slowly by setting aside an hour every few weeks for each session before gradually increasing the timeframe when you feel comfortable.
Most importantly make sure to rinse out all products with cold water for sealing cuticles and locking in moisture – that’s how you really give your hair its luxurious glow.