It’s time for us to set our New Year’s goals!!!
But as we get older let’s face it- it may be “funner” for us to be in bed at 10 pm with some yummy snacks and a juicy movie on New Year’s eve than shouting in the streets under a fireworks-filled night sky.
Did I just admit that??
Oh, who cares- because age truly– is just a number (who feels 17 in their brains?? Me!) and it doesn’t matter if your 40 or 75, you can still crush your goals and resolutions in 2024, even if you don’t feel like skydiving or getting tattoos anymore.
So ladies, grab a cup of coffee, put on your reading glasses, and let’s dive into your slower and kinder New Year’s goal suggestion guide for Women Over 40, 50, 60, and beyond.
Prioritize Your Health
With age, our bodies require more attention and care- so we can move ahead with the strongest, most robust health and bodies possible!
Make your health a top priority this year by committing to:
- The Doc: Schedule regular check-ups and annual screenings for peace of mind.
- Get Physical: Find fun exercise routines like dancing, swimming, biking, or YouTube Videos.
- Next Level Cuisine: Experiment, meal plan, and make healthy eating delicious! I am not a vegetarian or vegan, but this channel I’ve been following from the start and it has AMAZING food- Pick Up Limes – YouTube
- Head Space: Dedicate time each day to practice mindfulness, meditation, or breathing to reduce stress and improve your bodacious brain.
- Try New STUFF: Discover a new PHYSICAL hobby, like kayaking, drums, or tennis.
- Get Active with Outings: Instead of meeting for coffee/drinks- try walks, biking, waterslides (those stairs!), snowshoeing, golf. etc.
- Sleep Your Heart Out: Start a new bedtime routine, get comfy p.j’s, read, and un-screen- the suggestions are endless! As seen here and here.
- Drink up: Drink enough water throughout the day to support your bodily functions, ladies.
- Set Goals and Celebrate: Make lists, set alarms, create calendars, and celebrate milestones for motivation and exultation!
**Remember, always consult with a doctor before making changes to your lifestyle or starting a new exercise or diet program.
Reconnect with Loved Ones
Life is busy. But this year, reconnect with those non-toxic souls you may’ve neglected or lost touch with.
- Call: Set aside a time each week or month to catch up through phone/video calls.
- Meet: If possible, make plans to physically meet up for a weekend getaway, a meal together, or a fun outing.
- Send: Take the time to actually write letters or send personalized cards- a thoughtful gesture that shows you care.
- Organize: Plan a virtual gathering and… play online games, do quizzes, or watch a movie simultaneously.
- Share: Dig out old photo albums or search digital files to share photos and stories with friends and fam and reminisce.
- Show support: Reach out to your loved ones during challenging times. Offer support and let them know you’re there for them.
- Collaborate: Find a shared interest or hobby and collaborate on a project together like cooking a recipe, doing a DIY project, or creating something artistic.
- Surprise them: Send surprise gifts, flowers, or unexpected treats to brighten their day and let ’em know you’re thinking of them.
- Plan: Organize a family or friend reunion.
Pursue Your Passions
It’s seriously never too late to take up a new hobby or pursue a longtime passion. Ever thought about…
- Fitness and Wellness: Become a certified yoga instructor, personal trainer, or nutritionist. Help others reach their health goals while staying active yourself.
- Entrepreneurship: If you have a business idea or a passion project, consider starting your own venture and turn your passion into a successful endeavor (a.ka. Marie Foleo).
- Volunteer Work: Get involved in meaningful volunteer work for causes close to your heart like working with local charities, animal shelters, or mentoring programs.
- Financial Housekeeping: Seriously get your finances in order this year. Check out these channels on YouTube for motivation and ideas. Under the Median – YouTube and Frugal Money Saver – YouTube
- Dive into Technology: Improve your digital literacy by exploring technology. Learn to code, use graphic design software, or discover new apps and gadgets.
- Take up Gardening: Learn about different plants, landscaping, growing zones, bees, butterflies, herbs, grow lights, and sustainable gardening practices.
- Decluttering and Minimalism: This may just change your life. Check out a plethora of videos on YouTube for inspiration to get started. Samurai Matcha – YouTube and Why Everyone should be a Minimalist (youtube.com)
And for ideas a bit more unique:
- Discover Astronomy: Attend star-gazing events, join an astronomy club, or go online to learn about celestial bodies and the mysteries of the universe.
- Experiment with Mixology: Learn the art of mixology and become a (virgin?) cocktail connoisseur. Explore different flavors, techniques, and ingredients to create unique and delicious drinks.
- Dive into Virtual Reality (VR): Immerse yourself in the world of virtual reality. Try VR games, explore immersive virtual environments, or even create your own VR content.
Remember, learning new things is a personal journey, so choose activities that resonate with your interests and passions.
Enjoy the process of exploration, growth, and self-discovery as you try new pursuits.
Travel Your Heart Out
Traveling is not only a great way to expand your horizons and gain new experiences, but it’s also great for our mental and emotional well-being.
Travelling can include solo trips, couple trips or a group excursions- whatever your preference, life situation, and finances allow.
Make a bucket list of destinations you’ve always wanted to visit and start planning and saving for your next adventure.
- Documents: Make sure your passport is up to date and check visa requirements for your destination, and give yourself a lot of time to gather necessary travel documents.
- Consult a Travel Agent: Consider working with a travel agent who can help you navigate the complexities of travel, find the best deals, and handle any unforeseen circumstances.
- Create a Travel Budget: Set a budget for your trip and research affordable accommodations, transportation, and dining. Buy tickets online in advance for admission to attractions.
- Make a Detailed Itinerary: You may want to be “spontaneous” but having a detailed itinerary that’s well researched can save you time, (loads of) money, headaches, frustration, and in some cases, even keep you safe- all because of your thoughtful planning.
- Pack Smart: Try a capsule wardrobe approach- choose versatile clothing pieces that can be mixed and matched. Use packing cubes and don’t forget essential items like medication.
- Use Travel Apps: Travel apps can help you with everything from booking accommodation and flights to finding local attractions, discounts, and currency exchange rates.
- Stay Organized: Keep important documents, like copies of your passport and travel insurance, in an online folder or a physical folder in your carry-on bag. Use a travel checklist to ensure you have everything you need before take-off!
Ladies, there you have it-
Your ultimate New Year’s suggestions for women over 40!
Remember- age is just a number and there’s no limit to what you can achieve.
Make this year the year you crush your goals and set yourself up for success in all aspects of life.